Thursday, July 10, 2008

BETH'S WEDDING

Beth, daughter of Mary Ann's brother Joe got married in Washington, DC on Saturday, May 24th. Wedding and reception were held at "The Mansion on O" near DuPont Circle. More about the setting later. The link will tell you a little about the experience.

Since I had planned to head north in mid-June anyway, I departed Salem with the Airstream and all my belongings on the Wednesday before the wedding to be sure and be at the Friday night party.

And to spend a couple of days with a dear friend from our doll selling days, Peggy Bealefield. There aren't words to describe what a great friend Peggy is. I'll just have to give you an example so you understand. The spring after Mary Ann's death, I thought I was ready to sell her personal doll collection. So, in spite of serious back problems, Peggy drove almost 6 hours from her home outside Baltimore to help me price them. She spent a wonderful 3 days in Salem and then went home with "Mission NOT accomplished" because I just couldn't do it yet. Too many memories. The following fall she repeated the trip. This time I was able to get through it and we did get everything priced. See what I mean about "true friend." We had a wonderful visit. And on Friday I said, "Good by for now" to her, her two dogs and her bird and made a short drive to DC.

The Airstream Club, "The Wally Byam Caravan Club International" has a section in its Membership Directory labeled, "Courtesy Parking" where members offer free parking for other members.

Not expecting much in a major metro area, I was pleased to find a listing right outside Gaithersburg, MD.

Two miles from a Metro station.

I emailed the folks and said, "I know this is normally for overnight stays. But I'm coming to a Wedding and wondered if I could stay four nights?"

They answered, "Sure. Just park on the street in front of the house. Water is next to the porch and electricity is next to the garage door. We won't be home. We're going to Ontario for an Airstream Rally. But we'll tell the neighbors who are watching the house that you'll be there. And my sister and her husband will be there from NC for part of the weekend."

The location was so convenient - and right in my preferred price range (free). It was a 5 minute ride on the Honda to the Metro Station and the Metro is half price on weekends and holidays. With SO many reminders of why I love my lifestyle. Sleeping in my own bed with no hotel bills, no packing and unpacking, no "I forgot my (fill in the blank). AND Saturday morning I sat with my cup of coffee and listened to a dozen lawn mowers while thinking, "I won't ever have to do THAT again."

The NC relatives came out to say, "Hi." And I learned that she was actually raised in Roanoke. And one of her cousins was Pat Whitescarver, a Salem attorney who was one of the first people I became friends with when I moved to Salem in 1969. "Small World" doesn't begin to describe it.


The Wedding



Beth and Jim have both had long careers with the government and met through work.

In Vienna, Austria.

From their Wedding Website -

How We Met:
Vienna, Austria: Blind date house guest while Jim was en route home from Iraq to the U.S.. We met through our dear friends Jessi and David whom we originally met, individually, in Vienna, Virginia

How We Got Engaged:
Vienna, Austria: After a full day exploring the 2007 Vienna New Year's Trail festivities
(http://www.wieninternational.at/en/node/1927) such as waltzing lessons, drinking gluhwein, and eating bratwurst, we were walking along the Kaertnerstrasse heading for the Graben, which is the largest outdoor ballroom in the world on New Year's Eve, drinking hot caparinas when Jim popped the question.


With THAT start, we knew the Wedding was going to be spectacular. And it was.

The Mansion on O is really a collection of several old townhouses connected by stairs, passageways- many of which are "secret" and hallways. AND it's FULL, and I mean REALLY FULL of an incredibly eclectic collection of art. All of which is for sale. Like the antique four posted bed in your suite? It can be yours.

There was not a flat surface that wasn't completely filled with everything from small paintings, figurines, paperweights, to whimsical junk. I teased Father of the Bride, Joe that he was getting commission on all the stuff the guests were buying. He said it didn't work that way.




My son came up to me and said, "This is what your house would have looked like if Mom had lived another 20 years, isn't it?" Yeah. Probably.

The Wedding Service was beautiful. The food was amazing. The kids had a ball.

And MY GRANDSON BEN showed up in a tuxedo. He was the perfect gentleman until the party started. Then he really got down. Dancing his heart out. Here are some pictures.









Oh, other people were dancing, too.

The Bride with her Dad.



The Groom with the Mother of the Bride.



It was wonderful to catch up with Beth, her brother Chris and his family, Leah's brother Dale and his family and to meet so many of Beth's friends. Joe and Leah were perfect hosts. My Grandkids will never be happy at another "normal" Wedding - until their own, maybe. Did I mention that the Ringbearer was Nic ? A large beautiful dog - in a tuxedo - that Jim rescued and brought home from Iraq.

The couple are Blessed with each other, wonderful friends and family. We wish them all the best. And thank them again for including me on their special day.

No comments: