Sunday, October 30, 2016

KINGMAN, AZ - NOT AS DULL AS WE THOUGHT

We had been going pretty much full tilt for several weeks. We decided that a couple of down days would be a good idea, especially before Las Vegas.

Kingman, AZ seemed like a good half way spot to chill. We found  Zuni Village RV Park, a quiet campground with mostly permanent residents that was cheap and easy to get to off of I-40. We booked two nights planning zero activity. Well, except that Carol wanted to do laundry and I had a couple of things to fix on the Airstream including replacing the propane hoses and try to catch up on my blog. So we added two days. Carol awarded them the "best RV laundry room ever award". This was a good thing because the wifi didn't work at our spot. The owners gave me the code to their office account but their office and the laundry room were the only places where it worked.

The closest RV shop didn't have the length hoses I needed but they were happy to order them for me, to be delivered the next day. I was a little shocked at the $38.00 each price but our park brochure had a 10% discount coupon so it didn't hurt quite as bad. They did not call us the next day as promised but we were driving right by there so we stopped. "Oh. We're sorry. The supplier we ordered from was out of stock so we had to order from another place. They'll be in next week." I explained that we wouldn't be here next week and got a refund. The park manager said to go to True Value Hardware. We did. The hoses were half the price but they didn't have the length I needed either. Oh well I'm sure Vegas has RV stores.

Downtown Kingman was strange. Almost every parking space in town was taken but there were NO people on the streets. It's the County seat so I guess everyone was working. It has an interesting history and we took the walking tour. Of course the big thing for me was Historic Route 66.






My Big Red Truck isn't a Corvette, but it does have luggage space! And, thank you Lord, Carol and I don't have to look for odd jobs to be able to travel.

The town isn't old by Spanish standards but has some history to it. "Possibly the oldest living thing in Kingman" - I don't think the "possibly" was necessary - is a mesquite tree over 200 years old. It's just about the last one of a forest that was here when Kingman was founded. It's so big they have to help it by bracing one of the largest limbs.



Almost all of the buildings in the downtown area are listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. Including St. Mary's Catholic Church which was built in 1907. They built a new one in 1967 but kept the old building as a museum and gift shop.






We attended Mass there. The new church is beautiful also.





Laundry done, propane fixed for now, got a little done on the blog.

ON TO VEGAS.

No comments: