Sunday, July 19, 2009

ON TO EQUINUNK

We left Tuaghannock Falls on Friday, June 26th and drove East across southern New York State to Hancock. It's where I lived and went to Jr High and High School.

We crossed the Delaware River into PA and followed the river south about 10 miles to Equinunk, a little community of about 1200 people. Although I think they've included a rather large geographic area to come up with that many.

A few miles out of town is where my friend from High School, Donna Lind DuBois lives with her husband, Mike.







When we told them we would be passing through, Mike immediately offered to let us stay in his back yard. Complete with water and electric. It really is a slice of heaven on earth. It was so dark the first night that when Carol and I woke up we thought there was a lightening storm. It was the fireflies outside our Airstream windows.

Of course, there are some drawbacks to living this far out in the country. Mike is the only person I know who built an electric fence around his bird feeder - to keep out the bears.

We got up bright and early Saturday morning to have breakfast at the Circle E Diner in Hancock. It's where I always had an early breakfast when I was working for my Dad on the milk truck - starting in 1957. New owners, same great food.

Then I took Carol and the kids on the "Grand Tour". We went up the river on Old Route 17 through Readburn and Fish's Eddy to East Branch where I lived from age 3 to 12. Our old general store/house was in a terrible state. Falling down, actually. I went to a house across the street to see if anybody was home. A young boy came out and said, "Are you looking for Grandpa? He's over here." and went running to get him. A man came out from behind another house and said, "Are you looking for me?" I said, "I'm not sure - who are you?" He immediately yelled to his wife, "Honey - come out and see who's here - it's Tommy Cook."

By then I recognized him as a Cicio brother but I didn't know which of the 4 he was. It was Paul, who had married Brenda Young who was my best elementary school friend. The last time I saw him I was 12. Guess I haven't changed much after all. We talked a few minutes before it started raining. A NJ man had bought my old house and gutted it to make apartments. But he quit after tearing out the inside and hadn't done anything to it in over a year. The porch had fallen down the week before we got there. After a short side trip to Peaksville, we got back on 17 to go to Cook's Falls, where my family settled in the early 1700's. Found the old cemetery with my great grandfather and other ancestors. Then we drove along the Delaware back to Donna's.

Another dear High School friend that I've stayed in touch with all these years is Marilyn Johnson Stamets. She and her husband, Ron came to Donna's for dinner Saturday night, bringing Pizza for all. We had a wonderful mini-reunion.

On Sunday we went to the Pine Mill United Methodist Church. A beautiful little country church where Donna and her sister have sung since they were little children. It was the 100th anniversary of the current building and many of the parishioners stood to reminisce about their years attending there, along with stories of their parents and grandparents. One lady stood up and hesitantly said, "I really don't know if I should speak because I'm such a new comer. I've only been attending here 25 years." I told Carol, "Welcome to the mountains."

Sunday we drove to Marilyn and Ron's for dinner. Andrew, always more adventurous than Emily, went swimming in a small pond across the dirt road from Marilyn's. It was really dark water but we convinced him (and his mother) that if he splashed a lot, the snakes would not bother him.


I tried to get a picture of Ron and Marilyn's glass patio door but I couldn't get a clear shot that showed the big bear paw prints about 5' up on the door. He was just curious, I guess.

Emily and Andrew did get to experience some of the fun we had as kids.


Along with the tire swing, they enjoyed picking wild strawberries with Donna's grandchildren, and watching a doe and her fawn walk around their yard.

On Monday we went to Hancock to visit with Mr. and Mrs. Lester, two teachers at Hancock Central when I was there. They live in a beautiful house overlooking the school. Retired now, Mr. Lester is still recording secretary of the school board. Although the school was closed, since he had a key we got a tour. Much renovation and changes since I was there. But the pictures of the class of '63 was prominently displayed in the hall. And the auditorium was as beautiful as ever.

Monday night we had dinner at Palmi's, a new restaurant in Equinunk run by Fabio Chindamo, from Lake Como, Italy. He was previously the chef at the Delaware River Club which is THE premier Fly Fishing Club in the world. Since we were there on a week night, Fabio greeted, took our orders, prepared the food and served it. On the weekends he has one waitress to help. But he always cooks all the food himself. All of our dishes were wonderful and dinner for 6, including the two kids was less than $100. Quite a bargain for the quality and quantity. So if you're ever passing through Equinunk, PA, be sure and stop.

On Tuesday morning we left for NYC!

Old friends make

Life so good.

No comments: