Thursday, October 18, 2007

Hello from Maine

Tom, with New Orleans friend Vince Saltaformaggio and new Little Rock, AK friend Jan Price this afternoon on I-95 in Maine, with Vince and Lonnie's Airstream Motorhome in the background.



Cayenne, Lonnie and Vince



Oh, you didn't know I was going to Maine.

That's "OK".

Neither did I.

If you've been reading my blog since March, you may remember that I met Vince and Lonnie in FL, partied with them in MS and followed them home to New Orleans. I stayed with them on Irish Bayou for a few weeks before going to MS for the summer.

Tuesday Lonnie called and left a message, "We're in VA and can't remember exactly where you live. We're headed North on I-81 and plan to spend the night in a WalMart parking lot in Salem. Is that anywhere near you?"

After the first Margarita they said, "We're taking Jan to Nova Scotia for her birthday. Come with us."

After the second Margarita I said, "Sure. Why not. When are you coming back?"

They said, "We have to be back in Little Rock on the 28th. But we're not coming back down I-81. We're going across to Niagara Falls and home through Indiana."

After the third Margarita I said, "That's OK. I'll figure out how to get home from NY."

So Wed. afternoon, after getting a failed alternator belt replaced in Salem, we headed North. We spent the night at a Flying J Truckstop in Carlisle, PA.

This morning we got an early start and are now in a WalMart parking lot in Biddeford, ME. The drive through PA, NY, CT, MA, NH and into Maine was absolutely beautiful. The leaves are running about three weeks late so we're here for what is peak season in many areas.



Vince, Jan, Cayenne and me at lunch. Someplace between PA and ME.



Unfortunately the campgrounds didn't take the late color into account and most are closed for the season. Lonnie is calling around now to find a place.

And the ferry to Nova Scotia has also stopped running for the season.

So it looks like we'll settle in here in Maine through the weekend and head back across NH and VT (That's VERMONT, NOT Va Tech) next week.

I'll either take a plane

or a train

or a bus

or a rent-a-car

or find a ride on Craig's List

Or something else.

Dunno yet.

Life is so far beyond good !

No comments: