Monday, April 30, 2007

Mystic Springs Cove

I left Christmas on Thursday, Apr 19th and had a relatively uneventful day traveling to Perry, FL. My DeLorme GPS mapping program still needs a little tweaking. It took me over some narrow country roads that would have been ideal for a ride on the Honda. They were a little narrow and windy for the Airstream. But I got to the Perry Walmart before dark.

Bought some dinner and got a good night's sleep. Until 5am. That's when the trailer trucks start arriving. Will someone please tell me where in a FL parking lot it's necessary to use a Jake Brake?

I arrived at Mystic Springs Cove midday Friday. I had decided to make this my next stop because I wanted to check out another "Airstream only" park and I had won a Certificate for 2 free nights. Another "in between", there was a Vintage Airstream Rally going on. It seemed like everyone there had know everyone else there forever. And I didn't know a single person.

That lasted maybe 10 minutes. Immediately after my next door neighbor helped me park I was invited to a grouping of Vintage units to get a Margarita. What turned out to be the first of many. Vinnie and Lonnie were up from N'Awlin's. Lonnie must have made 10 gallons of Margaritas before the weekend was over.

Vinnie was responsible for Friday's dinner. Jambalaya with white beans and sausage. Even though it's a classic Cajun dish, Vinnie's was even better than usual.

Oh, did I tell you, their last name is Saltaformaggio. Yup, one of those 3rd generation Italian natives of New Orleans. Combining Cajun and Italian makes for some really great food.

But there are no words to describe the HOSPITALITY.

I told Lonnie at the end of the weekend that I felt more like a family member than a welcome guest. Immediately after dinner we ended up outside their trailer for more Margaritas, food, conversation and laughing. LOTS of laughing. It brought back great memories of growing up in Hancock, NY with the Fucci's, DaBrescia's and Possemoto's. It turned a little chilly so I contributed a bottle of Bacardi and Lonnie created an incredible buttered rum.

I've had problems posting this week so the entry just below this one is a continuation, not a previous one like it would normally be. Please scroll down and continue.

No comments: